Welcome and experience the current recruitment style. stress free.
This is THE questionnaire used to evaluate technical interns - software development. Yes it is. We do this on purpose. We want to get the best out of you, by showing you what to research on and what is of interest to us. The other qualities will of course come out 'naturaly', we dont need to ask you brainteasers !
Before we give you the questionaire, let us remind you that we are generaly more interested in your opinion on the matters raised, you could be wrong but it is not a big deal to us.
We just want to be sure you have read and understood the question.
We wont ask you, but as a developer at Software Elegance you are expected to at least:- 1. enjoy coding 2. take technical challenges positively 3. learn something new, everyday
Based on your research, experience or otherwise give your opinion on each of the following.
1. Programming Languages Strengths (and weaknesses if any) of :- a. Java b. Python c. PHP d. plus your favorite if its not listed above
2. DBMS What is the need for each of the following in a Database:- a. Table b. View c. Function e. Trigger
HINT: Give a good example of each to stand out from the rest
3. Markup Whats is common about the following ? and what are the typical areas of application ? a. XML b. XHTML c. HTML
HINT: these are critical to us especially the first two
4. Software Elegance a. List three products from Software Elegance
At Software Elegance we have the following main development frameworks a. OpenSesame (mainly Desktop and Applet solutions, typically system back-ends). Stable & Mature b. PrimeTime (A JSF framework using Primefaces Component Suite). Mature, bleeding edge c. PyFramework (A python web framework using bootstrap and running in django framework). Alpha
What kind of project would you use for each ? why ?
HINT: these are the actual frameworks you will be using, be ready
5. In what cases is each of the following needed a. SQL Developer b. pgAdmin, c. FileZila, d. gFTP, e. SSH f. Notepad ++
HINT: noticed the absence of IDEs ?
6. Give a short description of the following based on your own research and googling ;-) a. Tomcat Application Server b. nGinx server b. Apache Server b. Django Web framework c. JBoss application server
7. Are you aware of NoSQL databases ? Name two and give a short description of each
HINT: we like MongoDB
8. Are you ready to use GIT or Mercurial for source code control ? HINT: just psycological preparation
As a definition, Managed Services allows a business to offload IT
operations to a service provider, known as a Managed Services Provider.
The managed service provider assumes an ongoing responsibility for
24-hour monitoring, managing and/or problem resolution for the IT
systems within a business.
Many SMEs are operating with a break-fix mentality where they do all their core and non-core business (eg IT) and only contact the service providers when they need a fix for a broken component or system.
Operating a fully fledged IT department for a non IT company (eg a Consulting company, College, Marketing company, etc) is "almost illegal" ;-). What you need is just a competent IT company having the right toolset and mindset and ofcourse competitive priceing. Then and only then you can afford to keep your legs on the table.
Way forward ? Many companies big and small have realized this and are making the big move. With this in mind make sure you company isnt wasting valuable resources managing an IT service while you can outsouce the same (whole or part).